[Advaita-l] Animal sacrifice

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 20:10:08 CST 2006

Sri Deosaran Bisnath wrote:

>   I accept it is sanctioned by the Vedas.
>  But why do we need to conduct Animal Sacrifice? Must we?

No. Only nitya and naimittik karmas are compulsory. Others such as
animal sacrifice yajna are for gaining some special results such as
going to heaven or getting a son etc. Only they have to perform these
sacrifices who are looking for such special goals.

An advaitin has to get over the need of animal sacrifices just like
other kAmya karmas. This is a part of developing requisite sAdhana
chatushTaya. However this avoidance has nothing to do with something
intrinsically wrong with animal sacrifice since animal sacrifice is at
par with other kAmya karmas sanctioned by vedas. Rather it is due to
the intrinsic nature of all kAmya karmas since all kAmya karmas
strengthen bondage.

praNAm