[Advaita-l] Proper worship in Shankara's tradtion

harish subramanian athibuddhi at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 25 01:45:32 CST 2006

What is the position of Adi Shankaracharya on worship
    of different Gods (other than the five priciple
gods
    of panchayatana worship)?
    Though it is acceptable to worship any of the
    different gods(Ultimately,all worship leads to the
    lotus feet of Vishnu). I think it is not correct
    worship any Non Vedic deity as it may lead to
delay or
    even reversal of spiritual progress.
    For instance , reverence of sai baba or Jesus may
be
    okay, but to worship them as God may be harmful or
    even disastrous.
    Can anyone provide me Information on texts that
teach
    panchayatana (according to vaidik tradition) form
of
    worship properly.
    There are some  clarifications in this regard
    1. There is a story of Shankara stopping the
worship
    of Yama. Can I know the context surrounding this?
    2. What is Shankara's position on worship of
Skanda.

    He is not included on the original set of five
gods.
    3. What is Shankara's opinion on worship of
Buddha. I
    am aware of the differnces in the two sects.But
what
    is the position of Shankara.

    Regards,
    Subramanian V.