[Advaita-l] Sannyasa

S.N. Sastri sn.sastri at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 17:54:32 CST 2006

S.Jayanarayanan wrote:

I think that Swami Vidyaranya in his Jivanmuktiviveka permits everyone
including Shudras to take up Sanyasa. I'm not able to find the quote offhand
though.

---

What Swami Vidyaranya has said in Jivanmuktiviveka is that women also can
take Sannyasa. This is in chapter 1, almost at the beginning. It is on page
182 of the English translation in the Adyar Library edition of
Jivanmuktiviveka. He does not say anything about SUdras being allowed to
take Sannyasa. The Sankara Maths do not give Sannyasa to women. In the
Ramakrishna Math Sannyasa is given to women and also to all, irrespective of
caste. But it appears that the Sannyasa of this Math is not the same as that
laid down in the Sastras because their Sannyasis are cremated after death
and not buried as required by the scriptures.

S.N.Sastri