[Advaita-l] chandrashekharAShTaka - 7,8

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 20 12:13:01 CST 2006

bhaktavatsalamarchatAM nidhimakshayaM haridambaraM

    sarvabhUtapatiM parAtparamaprameyamanuttamam.h |

bhUmivArinabhohutAshanasomapAlitasvAkR^itiM

   chandrashekharamAshraye mama kiM kariShyati  vai yamaH || 7||

bhaktavatsalam- affectionate towards devotees

archatAM - of those who worship (Him)

nidhimakshayaM - inexhaustible treasure

haridambaraM - wearing no clothes

sarvabhUtapatiM - the Lord of all beings

parAtparam - supreme

aprameyamanuttamam.h - unfathomable, unsurpassed

bhUmivArinabhohutAshanasoma - earth, water, sky, fire, and the moon

pAlitasvAkR^itiM - form guarded

chandrashekharamAshraye - I seek refuge in Shri Chandrashekhara (Shiva) (the
Lord who bears the moon on His head)

mama kiM kariShyati  vai yamaH - what will Yama (Death) do to me?

He is affectionate towards His devotees. He is the inexhaustible treasure of
those who worship Him, even though He Himself is without clothes(digaMbara).
He is the Lord of all beings, the Supreme, Unfathomable, Unsurpassed One.
His form is guarded by the earth, water, sky, fire, and the moon. I seek
refuge in that Chandrashekhara (Shiva)(the Lord who bears the moon on His
head). What will Yama (Death) do to me?

vishvasR^ishhTividhAyinaM punareva pAlanatatparaM

    sa.nharantamatha prapaJNchamasheShalokanivAsinam.h |

kriDayantamaharnishaM gaNanAthayUthasamanvitaM

    chandrashekharamAshraye mama kiM kariShyati  vai yamaH || 8||

vishvasR^ishhTividhAyinaM - accomplishing the creation of the universe (as
brahmA)

punareva pAlanatatparaM -  then engaged in protecting (as ViShNu)

sa.nharantamatha prapaJNcham - and destroying the universe (as Rudra)

asheShalokanivAsinam.h - whose abode is all the worlds

kriDayantamaharnishaM - who allows/causes (them) to play day and night

gaNanAthayUthasamanvitaM - associated with the host of Ganesha (the gaNas
whose leader is gaNapati or gaNanAtha)

chandrashekharamAshraye - I seek refuge in Shri Chandrashekhara (Shiva)
(the Lord who bears the moon on His head)

mama kiM kariShyati  vai yamaH - what will Yama (Death) do to me?

He is engaged in creating, then maintaining, and finally destroying the
universe. His abode is all the worlds (He pervades all the worlds). Having
associated with the host (group) of Ganesha's followers (gaNas), He lets
them play day and night. I seek refuge in that Chandrashekhara (Shiva)(the
Lord who bears the moon on His head). What will Yama (Death) do to me?

Anand