[Advaita-l] (no subject)

Siva Senani Nori sivasenani at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 19 01:19:56 CST 2006

----- Original Message ----
From: Naveen Ramachandran <naveennr at yahoo.com>
To: advaita-l at lists.advaita-vedanta.org
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 12:14:48 AM
Subject: [Advaita-l] (no subject)

Hi All,

I would like to know the meaning( word to word) of 1st sloka  that belongs to 10th anuvaka of Sri Rudram especially dhrApE , andHasaspathE, dharidhran

dhrApE a~nDHasaspathE dharidhran nIlalOhitha |
EshAm purushANAm-EshAm paSUnAm mABEr mArO mO EshAm
ki~njca ~nAmamath(\) || 10.1||

Thanks in advance.
Naveen

-----

Navinji

I searched the archives before looking at Sri sAyaNAchArya's bhashya. I found that Sri Anand Hudli had posted an exceedingly good series on Rudram at the URL given below. But it does not seem to have 10.1 of Rudram.

http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/series/shri_rudram/verses_from_the_shri_rudram-1.htm

So I looked at the Books of the East series and the AchArya's bhashya and reproduce them here:

A B Keith translates the mantra as:

O chaser, lord of the Soma plants,
O waster, red and blue,
Frighten not nor injure
(Any) of these people, of these cattle.

sAyaNAchArya's bhashya (from www.vedamu.org) is:

dvitIyamArabhya navamAnteshvanuvAkeshu vividhAnni yajUMshyubhayato namaskArANyanyatarato namaskarANi cokyati. atha daSame'nuvAke rigrUpA mantrA uchyante. tatra prathamAmricamAha.

drApayati kutsitAm gatim prApayatIti drApih. pApino narakpradAnena kleSayatityarthah. andho'nnam tasya patih pAlakah bhaktAnAmannam pAlayatItyarthah. daridradaki~ncanah svayam viraktah kevala ityarthah. "ekamevAdvitIyam brahma neha nAnAsti ki~ncana" iti Sruteh. kaNThe nIlo'nyatra lohita iti nIlalohitah. etaih Sabdaih sambodhamAna he rudraishAmasmadIyAnAm purushANam putrapautrAdInAmeshAmasmadIyAnAm paSUnAm gomahishyAdInAm ca samUham mA bhermAbhIshaya. eshAmuktAnAm sarveshAm madhye ki~ncanaikamapi vastu mA'ro mA gacchatu. mA vinaSyatvityapyarthah. mo Amamanmaiva rugNamabhUt.

Translation:

In the second to ninth anuvakas various sacrifice-related dual prostrations and other prostrations were uttered. Now, in the tenth anuvaka, mantras in the form of riks are uttered. Therein, the first rik says:

[he] drape - O chaser! one who causes pApis to suffer hell
andhasaspate - O lord of andhas! (andhas being annam, one who bestows annam upon bhaktas)
daridrat - O kevala! (one who is devoid of attachment on his own, not due to others, as established by the Sruti 'ekamevAdvitIyam...')
nIlalohita - O lord who is blue (in the neck) and red (elsewhere)!
ma bheh - do not frighten
eshAm purushAnAm - these sons, grandsons and other relations of ours
paSUnAm - and our herds of cattle (cows, buffaloes and others);
eshAm - of all the mentioned
ki~ncana - [let] even one
mA'ro -  not go away or perish
mo Amamat - or take to disease.

We see that where sAyaNachArya translates andhas as annam and daridrat as kevala; A B Keith takes them to mean soma and 'waster' respectively, the reason for the second not being apparent. We do have a strong tradition that Rudra / Siva possesses nothing, but gives everything desired; on that count, A B Keith's translation is less faithful to tradition.

Senani