[Advaita-l] Re: Questions on Isavasya

Abhishek RK rkabhi at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 01:14:05 CDT 2006

Namaste

On 8/10/06, Viswanathan N <vishy1962 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When  I was going thru these discussions, I couldnt stop recalling the
> very first stanza of " Bhaja Govindam" of Adi Shankara.....
>
> Pl excuse me
> Viswanath

I guess you mean "nahi nahi rakShati Dukuru~NkaraNe" (grammar will not
protect you). IMO, the context of this verse has been totally ignored by
many as evident from the archives of this list. It is well known in our
tradition that the shAastras like yoga and vyAkaraNa and very much
"addicting", for example, one becomes obsessed in the siddhis in yoga or a
panDita gets immersed in the various nuances of the vyAkaraNa shAstra. Thus
the ultimate aim- mokSha- is forgotten.  This is the reason that Shri
Shankara Bhagavatpada instructed that vyAkaraNa (implied by Dukuru~NkaraNe)
will not protect one from the sorrows of this world.

Regards,
Abhishek