[Advaita-l] Re: Buddhism Related Discussions

Ramesh Krishnamurthy rkmurthy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 02:04:48 CDT 2006

On 08/08/06, S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If every post on the subject should be sent to the moderators for
> approval, it is a sure way to throw cold water on a lot of questions
> and posts by several list members. This is taking moderation to such
> an extent as to create a barrier in understanding advaita. This
> doesn't doesn't do good to any of us in the long run.

I agree 100% with Kartik. The kind of "moderation" Sri Ravi suggested
is a sure-fire way of killing the discussion. This is not to say that
anything and everything should be discussed. But bauddham is an
important element of our philosophic tradition and a part of the same
culture as vedAnta and the other darSana-s.

The very fact that scholars spend so much time on debating the
similarities & differences between advaita-vedAnta and some of the
bauddha schools is an indicator of the relative closeness of the two
traditions. New issues keep coming up and so debate & discussion are
very much needed.

> 5) If perhaps there is a way of automatically filtering out those
> postings that contain the word "Buddhism" and then placing it in the
> loop for moderation by Vidya, that will help much more than
> list-members sending the posts to the moderators every time they
> think it should be sent there.

Maybe I should use "bauddham" or "arya dhamma" or some such term to
bypass the moderator :))

Anyway, what I am dying to know is - is anybody planning to write
something on the equivalence or otherwise of mithyA and shUnyata?
Kartik, what about you for a start? You are quite a scholar yourself,
and have read a lot on the two traditions.

dhanyosmi
Ramesh