[Advaita-l] Re: Questions on Buddhism

Sylvain elisabeth-sylvain at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 3 05:43:45 CDT 2006

(Lakshminarayana) I think that the Atman makes a backdoor entry into
> buddhism in many places. But I am afraid a discussion
> on this would be out of scope of this list. Moreover,
> I would have to go through the buddhist texts all over
> again to make any useful contributions.

Please, allow me this post since it may link buddhism to advaita vedAnta.

Udana Vagga, VIII.3 seems to be clear on non-duality of nirvAna
consciousness, if ever one of you would be interested in reading this in
pali or sanskrit.  Here are two English translations of this short saying.

By the way, is pali easily understandable for a sanskrit reader ?

(Udana Vagga, VIII.3, translated from the Pali by John D. Ireland)
There is, bhikkhus, a not-born, a not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a
not-conditioned. If, bhikkhus, there were no not-born, not-brought-to-being,
not-made, not-conditioned, no escape would be discerned from what is born,
brought-to-being, made, conditioned. But since there is a not-born, a
not-brought-to-being, a not-made, a not-conditioned, therefore an escape is
discerned from what is born, brought-to-being, made, conditioned.

(Udana Vagga, VIII.3, translated from the Pali by Thanissaro Bhikkhu)
There is, monks, an unborn - unbecome - unmade - unfabricated. If there were
not that unborn - unbecome - unmade - unfabricated, there would not be the
case that emancipation from the born - become - made - fabricated would be
discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn - unbecome - unmade -
unfabricated, emancipation from the born - become - made - fabricated is
discerned.

Sylvain