[Advaita-l] Re: Sri Sankara Jayanti

Krishnan S krishnan.sankara at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 22:37:52 CDT 2006

While on the discussion on the date of Sri Sankara Jayanthi this year,
I am reminded of the 'katapayati sutra' (which I am sure, most of us
are familiar with) and its application to the word 'Sankara'.

As per the sutra, the word gets decoded into the integer 215. Some are
of the view that '215' stands for the second (chandramana) month,
first (bright) paksha and fifth tithi. In other words it stands for
the Panchama Tithi of the Sukla Paksha of Vaisaka month, which is
incidentally is the jayanthi day of Adi Sankara.

And (as many of have indicated) this year, Sri  Sankara Jaynthi falls
on Second May (Tuesday).

Regards

S. Krishnan