[Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 36, Issue 19

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 14:36:35 CDT 2006

On 4/19/06, Vidyasankar Sundaresan <svidyasankar at hotmail.com> wrote:

> >If some one says J.Krishnamurthy is not advaitin,I really dont know what to
> >say!!!  Sure he has not claimed to be , but dont go by mere definitions
> >(not by letter but look by spirit ). He may not be proclaimed advaitin ,
> >but certainly a 'non-dualist'.  why, even for that matter, I would call
> >OSHO as authentic Advaitin compared so many of swamijis. (Just read his
> >book on Bhaj Govindam, no one can ever give better commentry on that great
> >work of Adishankara)
> >

> Surely, Mr. Vishwanathan, you do agree that the focus of this mailing list
> is traditional advaita vedAnta. Only one school of thought was born advaita
> vedAnta, some call themselves advaita, others have the label of advaita
> thrust upon them. This list is not about the rest.
>
> The less said about Osho, the better. As for J Krishnamurthy, one can't say
> anything more succinct than the author of the following review:

That's a pretty accurate summary, and written well. As for Osho =
advaita, I guess it's time for that ugly monster to rear its head once
again :-). There's no need to equate anyone who speaks mystical
mumbo-jumbo with advaita. Clearly, advaita != mystical mumbo jumbo.
There are many people floating around claiming to teachers of
"advaita". Why, I even came across a web-page where people can submit
their names and be listed as teachers of "contemporary" advaita. You
can even submit your "writings" and the kind of balderdash you can
find there is absolutely amazing. The point is that these people want
the stamp of a tradition on them, which enables them to part the
gullible from their money more easily. I guess some people think that
any nonsense that appeals to them is Ok, especially if it is supposed
to have been sanctioned by a 3000 year tradition (which includes
Ramana Maharshi of course!). But they are too lazy and/or hedonistic
to actually get schooled in and follow the tradition of advaita. It's
a massive con-job, no less. Some notable exceptions are genuine
advaitins like A.J.Alston and Trevor Leggett.

Rama