[Advaita-l] Bhagavad Geeta

Siddhartha Annapureddy annapureddy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 04:38:50 CDT 2006

Namaste all,
    I have a few questions on the interpretation of Bhagavad Geeta. The
verses in question are
4.7 and 4.8.

yadaa yadaa hi dharmasya glaanirbhavati Bharata.
Abhyuddhannamadharmasya tadayayatmaanam srujamyaham. (4.7)

paritranaaya saadhunaam vinaashaya cha dushkrutam.
dharmasamsthaapanaarthaaya sambhavaami yuge yuge. (4.8)

I was discussing these verses with a friend, and I did not know how to
explain these verses in
the framework of Advaita. I do not see why Brahman should be particularly
concerned with the welfare of the human world (though I can understand why a
realized man would be concerned. For example, Sri Krishna Himself). Going by
the analogy of the dream, it's like the dreamer assuring a character in the
dream that he will enter the dream every so often to save the character in
the dream. Could someone reconcile these verses (maybe using the context in
the Bhagavad Geeta) appropriately? Thanks.

A.Siddhartha.