[Advaita-l] Importance of sannyAsa for study of VedAnta (was Fwd: [advaitin] Kanchi Maha-Swamigal's Discourses on Advaita Saadhanaa (KDAS-7))

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 08:57:44 CDT 2005

An article forwarded from the advaitain list, which explains
just how important sannyAsa is for studying the upanishhads, the
topic that has been discussed in the advaita-l list. ONLY
sannyAsIs are eligible to study VedAnta. The BrahmachAris who
might also receive instruction in VedAnta are exceptions to the
general rule, and are not to be emulated.

"In other words, the Acharya’s conclusion is, in that last
stage, it is the Sannyasi that has the right qualifications for
Atma-SadhanA...It is only for such a seeker that the most
blissful gift of Realisation of Brahman happens. That is the
maxim of the Acharya, as also confirmed by the
Upanishads...Though every shAkhA has a mahavakya, traditionally
we resort to four mahavakyas corresponding to the four vedas,
for purposes of giving initiation to new Sannyasis...Therefore
it appears fair to  conclude that it is to be taught  only to a
Sannyasi, namely one of the fourth Ashrama."