[Advaita-l] Bhakti is necessary for all paths: Quote from Kanchi Mahaswamigal

Shyam Venkataraman shyam.venkataraman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 15:48:19 CDT 2005

Namaskarams to all,
 Swami Paramarthanandas has a beautiful discussion on "Bhakti Yoga" in his
lectures on Tattvabodha. Swamiji very nicely brings out the definitions of
Bhakti at three levels. I thought I can post it here:
 *First Meaning of Bhakti:*
**
Here bhakti is looked at as "intensity of love" in the field of spirituality
or God.
 (1) Manda Bhakti: In this form of bhakti, followed by majority of people,
God is looked upon as the *means* for fulfilling various wordly *ends*. So
they pray to God to fulfill various wordly ends. If God fulfills their
conditions, they have bhakti. If not, they reject God. This is the lowest
form of Bhakti.
 (2) Madhyama Bhakti:In this form of bhakti, God is looked upon as THE goal
of life or the end of life. This type of bhaktas know that God represents
security,peace and happiness. This is more intense form of bhakti.
 (3) Uttama Bhakti: This is the most intense form of bhakti. Here, God is
not the *means*, not even as the *end*, but God is not different from my own
Self.
 *Second Meaning of Bhakti:*
**
Bhakti as a course of discipline to accomplish spiritual goal/ultimate goal
of life. Since bhakti is a course of discipline, it becomes bhakti *yoga*.
Bhakti yoga is not an exclusive course of discipline, but it is imbibed in
karma yoga, upasana yoga and jnana yoga. So we have
 (1) Karma Yoga rupa Bhakti Yoga: In karma yoga, you dedicate all actions to
the Lord and accept without resistance all consequences as iswara prasadam.
So Karma Yoga necessarily is imbibed with bhakti *all the time*.
 (2) Upasana Yoga rupa Bhakti Yoga: Here also, bhakti is imbibed since one
meditates on the Lord for developing mental discipline and integration by
doing manasa puja/japa/parayana.
 (3) Jnana Yoga rupa Bhakti Yoga: This also involves Bhakti since before
going into any scripture, there is some form of prayer to the Lord. and Self
Realisation is nothing but God Realisation.
 *Third Meaning of Bhakti:*
Here, we have to understand the nature of God, before developing Bhakti. So
we have three levels of definitions depending on the maturity/intellectual
capacity of the devotee.
 (1) Eka Rupa Bhakti:
Here God is looked as the "creator of the world" or Jagat Karta Ishwara. So
God is looked as a person. So we have several personal Gods (Ishta Devatas).
(lowest form of bhakti)
 (2) Anaika Rupa Bhakti:
Here God is looked as the creator as well as the material out of which the
world is created. or Jagat Karanam Ishwara. So every form is God's form. So
God is no more a personal God only, but a universal God or Anaika rupa
Iswara or Vishwarupa Ishwara. This is a higher form of bhakti.
 (3) Arupa Bhakti:
This is the highest form of Bhakti where in God is seen as the very
substratum of all the forms which he transcends. So God is Adhistana Ishwara
or Arupa Ishwara or formless.
 And the beauty of all these definitions is that no stage of definition
displaces or replaces each other. It only adds another dimension. So Arupa
Ishwara includes Anaikarupa and Eka rupa ishwara.
 Hari Om!
Shyam Venkataraman