[Advaita-l] Is Ishvara a Gynani?

Shyam Venkataraman shyam.venkataraman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 13:32:05 CDT 2005

Namaskarams.
 Dear Sadanandaji,
 I wish to just post a minor clarification w.r.t your point here.
In the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna says:
All Beings have their being in me (9.4). That means that all beings depend
on the Lord for their existence. The Lord further says, "Iam not in all
these beings. I do not have my being in what is created." That means that
the creation is not independent of the Lord but the Lord is independent of
the creation. Like even the clay can say, "all that is made of clay has its
being in me, but Iam not in them". The clay is not dependent on the
clay-born world. From the stand-point of the pots, the clay can say "all
these exist in me". And from its own stand-point, the clay can say "in me
there is no being" -- because there is nothing else other than the vastu
"Brahman". The Lord's glory is maya which is capable of creating something
which is not possible at all. The vastu "Brahman" without itself undergoing
any change appears as the world. So this amounts to the following statements
which Krishna makes in the Gita:
"All things have their being in me"
"In fact there is nothing that has its being in me."
 Om Namah Shivaya!
 Shyam