[Advaita-l] A Brief Introduction to pUrva mImAmsA - 6 (Mantras)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Oct 19 15:13:48 CDT 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005, bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com wrote:

> praNAms bhattacharjee prabhuji
> Hare Krishna
>
> That is OK prabhuji..I am not disputing that point...I am asking why Rig
> vEda is called *old*??

Yajurveda is just a rearrangement of rks for the use of the adhvaryu
priest. Samaveda is a rearrangement of rks for the use of the udgatr
priest.  Even the Atharvaveda mostly consists of rks also found in the
Rgveda.  Thus is can be said that the Rgveda is the source of the other
three.  However it must be said, that all three contain material which is
not found in the Rgveda and cannot be simply dismissed as younger.

> & why Rshi, chaNdas & dEvata are not found in some
> yajurvEda maNtra-s....

Yajus are prose not poetry so they do not have a chanda per se (though we
say yajus as the chanda) but they do have rshi and Devata.  The rks of
course have all three.