[Advaita-l] Science and Vedantha

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 10:53:16 CST 2005

Pranams:

>> "Mental excercise is a good ladder, but it does not have the final
>> rungs. For that we need the "leap of faith"."

I would agree with this but would stop when faith is prefixed by blind.
Being a rationalist, I would require some reason for the faith in the words
of the guru or vedanta for that matter.

>> According to vedAnta this question has relevance only
>> within the dualistic perception or "mAyA". Outside of it, it has no
>> relevance, and the purpose of vedAntic teachings is to take us beyond,
>> so it is a minor matter that this question is not addressed by vedAnta
>> directly.

While I agree to the above, all I am doing is try to search for clues that
"the master has left behind" (so to speak) for the analytic among us who
wish to find clues as to how the fundamental assertion of Advaita can
be arrived at without recourse to the scriptures.

Two points I understand with regard to the quest:
As per the Gita - "I appear to each one in the way he or she worships me"
(sorry about it not being exact since I am not a devoted student of the
Gita)
As per Sri Ramakrishna - "When the salt doll went to measure the depth of
the ocean, it became one with it"

So, my worship is the analytic technique while I am fully aware (if Advaita
is right :-) ), the best it can do is make me....silent.

Humble pranams, Mahesh