[Advaita-l] Science and Brahman

sriram srirudra at vsnl.com
Wed Nov 9 14:32:22 CST 2005

Dear Members of the list
Science has its own limitations.It throws light on phenomena and explains the` How `of them on the basis that the elements behave the way they behave under all circumstances whoever is experimenting them.They do not change their behaviour whimsically.Their patterns of behaviour are predictable with certain amount of confidence levels.But the secret part of of it is that Why they behave the way they behave.When Alexander Graham Bell demonstrated his invention of Telephone to his associates he is quoted to have said that-I know how it-telephone- works but why it works is not within my knowledge-.So at the maximum science is capable of unravelling the hows but not the WHYS.Only Vedantha which assiduously tries to know the whys can elevate us spiritually.It is in quest of knowing that entity which when known everything is known.We may call this knowledge of Brahman.That is why Sankara Bhagavatpada stressed on Knowledge.For eg we all know the phenomena of day and night.Because of earth`s rotation about an axis and Sun is constantly shining this phenomenon is understood.But why the Sun should constanly shine and why the earth should rotate about its axis-it is an imaginary axis- nobody sofar convincingly explained including the latest Big Bang theory and the ever expanding universe.Even Stephen Hawking has admitted this in his book.All are theories only.Vedantha only will able to give the Ultimate answer.
pranams.
R.Krishnamoorthy.