[Advaita-l] Re: Vakyapadiya 3.3.72, does it refer to Advaita? (Rishi Lamichhane)

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Nov 16 00:33:34 CST 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Rishi Lamichhane wrote:

> I did not know MM quoted this in Brahmasiddhi.

Mandana Mishra was quite familiar with the vaikarana darshan.  He has also
written a work called sphotasiddhi which deals with aspects of that
philosophy.

> In any case it is
> interesting historically for various reasons. It among other things
> shows that this is what people considered "Vedanta" back then, and
> unlike what some scholars still think, Kevala Advaita didn't begin all
> of the sudden with Gaudapada,

I have read that the Buddhist Dignaga quotes Bhartrahari.  This would
indicate Advaita Vedanta was flourishing as early as the 5th century.
Tradition states that Bhartrahari was a courtier of king Vikramaditya and
if we accept that, it pushes the date all the way back to the 1st century
BC.