[Advaita-l] How can one claim to know Brahman?

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 07:55:55 CST 2005

Pranams:

Thanks for your views on the brain physiology. They made interesting
reading. However, can one really take the help of the physical level
or matter elements while discussing Brahman? The brain, spinal cord,
etc. are part of the lower prakRti as the Gita would say and we are
looking at higher prakRti.

Of course, the chitta or mind stuff does come into play here. Thanks
to Jaldhar's pointing out my lacuna of knowledge by not having read
Sri Vidyaranya, I promptly purchased the 5 volume book set of the
Pancadasi. Wheter I will complete it is another story but skimming
through the first few paragraphs, I chanced upon this in 1/5:
"For a person awakened from deep sleep, the ignorance of deep sleep is
known in the form of memory. This memory is that of the object
(ignorance) experienced during deep sleep. Therefore, the
consciousness alone illumined the ignorance in deep sleep"
(Translation by Swami Anubhavananda, Chinmaya Mission).

Extending the same logic to the turiya state, does it mean that when
Brahman is realized in the state of Samadhi, since there is no "I"
present at that time i.e. no experiencer different from the
experienced, all knowledge of the Brahman is registered in memory
only? And, when one comes back from this Supreme state, one can talk
of the experience only due to memory? But then, why is this memory
different from that of deep sleep state which is of the form of
ignorance?

Regards, Mahesh