[Advaita-l] How can one claim to know Brahman?

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:02:09 CST 2005

Pranams:

>> The opposite of intellect isn't mysticism, it's stupidity. Again please
>> read the works of Shankaracharya or Swami Vidyaranya or Swami Madhusudan
>> Saraswati etc. to see how they use "mere" intellect to reach the highest
>> goal.

I respect and realize the fact that are more well read and
knowledgable than me with regard to Advaita since most of the above
names I have come across only on the Advaita Vedanta site. However,
maybe I can clarify what I meant. In philosophy as you are well aware,
for each question there are thousands of answers, each one quite
convincing in its own right and hard to refute. Philosophy, by nature,
is not like science which most of the time has only one definite
answer which can be verified by one and all. So, the Theravada
Buddhist, for example, does not need Brahman to arrive at a satisfying
and complete philosophy. Nor does Western philosophy find the need for
it.

In one of your later posts you mention Sat-cit-ananda as being the
substratum of all attributes. I agree and believe that. But that is as
per Vedanta. But consider the core attribute of Brahman cit. It is
shrouded in mystery. Some scientists attribute it to the product of
the brain and not being present anywhere else. Some thinkers even
attribute cit as being an illusion (refer "The User Illusion" by Tor
Norrentranders). Others say it is the product of the soul which is
different from cit.

The whole point of the above is to emphaize that without direct
experience wherein one can say that Brahman is what it is said to be,
words can and will be debated all the time. But when one has tasted
the mango, there is no need to discuss its taste. One knows it so one
can keep quiet and enjoy the others debating.

>> remove that false notion?  It couldn't.  Only knowledge could.  At best,
>> Nirvikalpa Samadhi provides a stable platform from which Jnana can be
>> pursued without distraction but it only represents a status quo.

That said the above is also true. Knowledge of Brahman without Jnana
leads to utter confusion and sometimes can be fatal. The book "Living
with Kundalini" by the Kashmiri pandit Gopi Krishna brings this out
very well. His Kundalini was raised but he was not aware of its
significance till much later. So is the case with Sri Ramana Maharshi
who realized first and then understood much later in life.

Which opens up a pandora's box which has been nagging me also: If as
per the shastras, on the realization of Brahman, one is freed from the
cylce of brith and death, then is it true for one whose Kundalini is
raised but who does not understand it's significance? And so if you
wish to carry this to an extreme, can the Kundanlini be just a product
of not-yet-understood biology and has nothing to do with spirituality?

Regards, Mahesh