[Advaita-l] logic and shastra

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:17:27 CDT 2005

Pranams:
 >>Science and shruti operate in different realms that do not intersect.
>>Science works on pratyaksha etc. as pramana while shruti is a pramana
>>in itself.

Shruti is a pramana, I agree. But according to Vedanta, pratyaksha is also a
pramana and is on par with Shruti. If you say that Shruti's word is final
then that is makes it a dogma and not a pramana! Infact if you think that
science is bedevilled by observation, Shruti suffers from interpretative
maladies! The same scripture means vastly different things to different
schools. I was talking with an ISKCON monk the other day and his belief is
that consciousness is a product of the soul and Krishna is supreme reality.
For him Brahman of Advaita was insignifcant. And his pramana was the same
Shruti you use for your Advaita! So, who decides what Shruti is saying?

However, the beauty of science is that it does not suffer from subjectivism.
It is independent of caste, colour, creed...interpretation!

What I meant by science proving Shruti wrong is quite easily put in relation
to Advaita but possibly extremely difficult to arrive at though not
impossible! In today's science, it is a truism to claim - if you can dream
it, you can do it! Say that through advances in science we find that
consciousness is a product of some new physics and is in the realm of the
brain only. Then, where would Advaita stand? Could not it's claim to reality
seem less strong?

In fact, most scientists today would question very very strongly claims of
consciousness being the ultimate reality. Even the good Dr. Goswami's
assertion that the universe is self aware with consiousness as the
substratum is based largely on conjecture. His explaining the Alain Aspect
experiment is just one interpretation of the phenomenon but there are many
others (multiple univserse theory, string theory to name two).

So, can you give me a reason, other than faith, why you would consider the
pramana of Shruti to be more important than pratyaksha?
>> For vedanta books (English) in Mumbai, try ..
 Thanks for all the bookstore pointers! I have explored all except the
Matunga one. I have found Bharati Vidya Bhavan to be the best but I don't
know if they carry Guadapada Karika! Or maybe I haven't had the courage to
ask till now. :-)
 Humble pranams, Mahesh