[Advaita-l] Re: Noumenon from Phenomenon

Mahesh Ursekar mahesh.ursekar at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 11:48:42 CDT 2005

Pranams:

n an earlier mail, I had given my arguments for the existence of a noumenon
and by happy coincidence, today I happened to read Sankara's arguments on
the same. They are taken from S. Radhakrishnan's "Indian Philosophy", Vol2.
Here they are:

 Sankara says: "In the world, no non-intelligent object without being guided
by an intelligence brings forth from itself the products which serve to
further given aims of man. For example, houses, palaces, beds, seats,
pleasure gardens and the like are contrived in life by intelligent artists
in due time for the purpose of obtaining pleasure and averting pain. It is
exactly the same with this whole world. For when one sees how, for example,
the earth serves the end of the enjoyment of the fruits of the manifold
works, and how, again, the body within and without by possessing a given
arrangement of parts suitable to the different species and determined in
detail that it may form the place of enjoyment of the fruit of the manifold
works…how should this arrangement proceed from the non-intelligent pradhana?
… Clay, also, for example, is formed, as experience teaches, to different
shapes only so long as it is guided by the potter, and exactly in the same
way must matter be guided by another intelligent power"

The purpose of the creation is to serve as the stage for the reward of the
deeds of earlier existences which stretch back for each individual ad
infinitum. Unconscious prakriti is not the explanation of nature or the
subjective aspect of the world and the working of the law of karma.
Consciousness and activity must belong to the cause of the world. The
regularity and adaptation (racana) of the world indicate a conscious
director.

 Now why does the "creator" need to be beyond time, space and causation?
Sankara argues on three fronts: the epistemological, cosmological and
physico-theological.

 The idea of logic compels us to assume the reality of a perfect subject, to
whom all existence is related as an object. Truth as systematic harmony
means the reality of a divine experience. That events are interconnected in
a system is the assumption of common sense and science, which is
increasingly confirmed by experience, though never realized in its entirety.
For there is much in the world that never directly enters into our
experience. We seem to know much, though even in this limited region our
knowledge is imperfect. Only a complete apprehension of reality as a whole
can justify that God is and S/He is the creator of all. Our human experience
is incapable of apprehending the world in its entirety, achieve a harmony of
pure being with restless infinitude. However much we may order and simplify
our experience and reduce its complexity to the single prakriti, the
purursa, or the subject, would still remain the outside observer of its
lonely flight through space and history. If the universe is small enough for
our little minds to explore, if we can tell whence it comes and wither is
goes, can understand its origin, nature and destiny, then we are not finite
and we do not demand an infinite. The logical belief that all facts belong
to a system and express the mind of God is only an idea.

 The cosmological argument employs the concept of cause, which is not
adequate even in the empirical world, and turns out altogether useless when
we try to relate the world of experience to the ultimate reality, which is
said to manifest itself through it. The different lines in the phenomenal
series cannot explain one another. We cannot admit within the world of
phenomena an uncaused cause. The question of an absolute beginning of the
phenomenal series, samsara, is a self contradictory one. To seek for it is
to seek in time for that which is the condition of the very being of time.
It is the essence of samsara that it has no beginning. The infinite to which
we rise by the mere negation of the finite is another idea requiring
explanation. When the argument from causality, which has its validity
confined to the world of changing phenomena, is applied to the real, the
latter is misconceived, since it is made an object of knowledge, and that
which we infer as the cause of the world belongs also to the world of
experience. We can infer only a finite creator from a finite world, even if
we assume the universality of the principle that every effect has a cause.
The first cause must be a unity of the same order of being as the objects of
experience, since the latter are brought into relation with it. If Isvara is
the cause of the world he must be within the space-time framework, a vastly
magnified human whose self-consciousness is defined by the instrumentality
of a body and a mind analogous to our own. If such a being exists, no
foreseeable extension of our knowledge could enable us to determine his
nature and existence. Such a God, moreover, working through instruments
analogous to the human ones, is neither infinite nor omnipotent.

 The moral argument that the context of things is adapted to the soul of
humans and shows the workmanship of a benevolent God is also unsatisfactory.
However, the matter be turned, in a real world the responsibility for sin
and evil falls on God. If, to relieve him of the authorship of evil, we
accept something like the mythology of Persia and make Satan responsible for
it, then the oneness of God disappears and we reinstate a dualism between
God and Satan. God must feel the pain of the soul also, even as, when one
member of the body suffers, the whole body suffers with it. It follows that
the sufferings of God are much greater than those of the individual souls,
and it is better for us to remain self-enclosed individuals with our limited
sufferings than rise to the level of God and take upon ourselves the burden
of the whole world.

 A perfect God does not require the world for his satisfaction. If it is
said that the world is for his enjoyment, then God is no God but only a
samsarin. If we say that God has determinations, gunas, like personality,
perfection, etc, it is difficult to conceive how these can coexist with
absoluteness. The attempt to conserve the characteristics of personality
(guna) and absoluteness (Brahman) seems to be wellnigh impossible for logic.

 The lesson which Sankara derives from these inadequate proofs for the
existence of God is that the question has no meaning in reality and arises
only within the world of experience.

 !! Om Tat Sat !!

 Regards, Mahesh