[Advaita-l] Re: yoga and vedanta - Appayya Dikshita's words

Anand Hudli anandhudli at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 30 01:36:08 CDT 2005

We all know and agree that Shankara's teachings are the first and foremost
among those that belong to the advaita paramparA. There is no doubt aout
this. What seems to torment some people is the fact that there are
"differences" between Shankara's teachings and those of later AchAryas. From
this, a wrong conclusion has been reached: later AchAryas distorted
Shankara's teachings to such an extent that we should not follow them at all
but we should stick to only teachings that can be shown to have directly
come from Shankara and none other than Shankara. While the attitude of
studying Shankara's teachings is certainly praiseworthy, dismissing the
later AchAryas' works as not representing advaitic philosophy is wrong. In
saying this, I can only rely on AchAryas whose understanding of advaita was
infinitely superior to my own, since I have no hope of making a thorough
study of all advaita works in this lifetime or even in one more lifetime!
(There are arguably more than 1600 works that are available and that can be
classified as belonging to Shankara's paramparA). AchArya Shankara's
teachings are the sacred gaN^gA river that takes its birth from the feet of
ViShNu. The later AchAryas' teachings are tributaries of the gaN^gA that may
appear to be somewhat different from the original river because of the
terrain, but they finally join the ocean. The teachings of later AchAryas
too finally affirm the same conclusion "brahma satyaM jaganmithyA jIvo
brahmaiva nAparaH". The following verse (1.1) from the
siddhAnta-leshsaMgraha of appayya dIkShita is relevant here:

adhigatabhidA pUrvAchAryAnupetya sahasradhA saridiva mahIbhedAn.h saMprApya
shauripadodgatA | jayati bhagavatpAdashrImanmukhAMbujanirgatA jananaharaNI
sUktirbrahmAdvayaikaparAyaNA ||

The teachings that have emanated from the mouth of Shankara BhagavatpAda are
like the gaN^ga that springs from the foot of ViShNu. Just as the same river
branches out into tributaries due to variations in the characteristics of
the land where the water flows, so also, due to variations in the learning
(background) of the AchAryas earlier (than myself), there are many prakriyAs
within the advaita system. (The conclusion of every prakriyA is the same as
every AchArya has accepted the conclusion of Shankara's teachings.) This
advaita teaching, which destroys birth (saMsAra) and which has the
attainment of the nondual Brahman as its objective, is  victorious.

>bhaskar :

>I think this also can be cited as one more difference between surEshwara
>(vArtikakAra) & shankara >then!!  because shankara says though
>upanishadvAdins ultimately agree the advaita's Atmaikatva >tattva, the
>correct interpretation of shruti is required to be understood through the
>methodology >adopted by shruti.

On the contraray, Shankara agrees with another vedAntic viewpoint as long as
it has the same conclusion, even if it is not the same as his own. See, for
example, sUtra-bhAShya 1.4.3 where Shankara agrees with another viewpoint
since it also has the same effect, ie. denying that pradhAna is the cause of
the world. So it is not proper to say that Shankara insists that only his
method is correct.

Anand