[Advaita-l] Pre-requisites for brahmajnAnA

Sankaran Aniruddhan ani at ee.washington.edu
Wed Jan 26 09:10:31 CST 2005

namaste,

> ...because the word sounds like Vedantha is the tail part of the vedas.
> But it is not like that. Vedantha has no
> connection with the Vedas;...

It would be fair to say that the subject matter of focus in the vedas and
vedanta is different, however I feel it is a big stretch to say that they
have no connection at all.

Now, maybe some commentators did not quite say in so many words that you
need to study the vedas before vedanta, however it is quite possible that
they assumed it as given i.e. it was so common and implicitly understood
that they did not feel the need to spell it out. But theoretically, you can
take sannyasa from any ashrama in life, so that should include before
upanayana as well (when no vedic study has been undertaken). Maybe it is not
a hard and fast rule - one example is that of women. They have traditionally
not studied the vedas, but many of them have taken up sannyasa.

Aniruddhan

Sruti smRti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavatpAda Sam.karam lokaSam.karam