[Advaita-l] Question: arghya pradaanam

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian rama.balasubramanian at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 23:57:54 CST 2005

I have been taught

kAlAtIta prAyaScittArtham ekArghyapradhAnaM kariShye

This is what I see in "AcAryALin ViLakkam - sandhyAvandhanam" also, a
book in Tamil with an explanation of sandhyavandanam by Sri
Mahasannidhanam (abhinava vidyA tIrtha swamigal).

The single arghya is for doing the arghya at the wrong time. For
example, the best time (uttamam) for doing the morning sandhya is
early morning, when the stars can still be seen, madhyamam is when the
sun is not visible, but there is light, adhamam is when the sun is
visible. The single arghya is performed even if one gets up at the
optimum time, since we could possibly be mistaken about the time due
to some reason or the other.

Rama