[Advaita-l] Re: Is an ISvara compatible with advaita?

sri parasukhananda nadha sriparasukhanandanadha at rediffmail.com
Sat Feb 19 09:46:53 CST 2005

Dear friends,
                    Let me say something about Ishwara, as I understood, that Ishwara is not any individual charecter like our human beings.
                    If you point at one tree, you will call it a tree.  But when you look at a large number of trees, you will name the total unit as a garden or a forest.  Actually there is no article with a name of a garden or a forest is existing there, but only a number of treees are there.  This is called Samasti or total unit.
                    In a human being, there are three Avasthas, namely Jagrat (wakeful state), Swapna (dreemy state) and Sushupthi (somber sleepy state).
                    Now I wish to say that the Vyasti state (unitary)of the Jagrat of all the beings, is called Vishwa (the world), and the Samasti of this Vishwa is called Vaishwanara.  In the same way, the total unit of Swapna of all the beings is called Thaijasa, and its collective form (Samasti) is called Hiranyagarbha.  Likewise, the total unit of the Sushupti avastha of all beings is called 'Praagna'; and the collective (Samasti) of this Praagna state itself is called "Ishwara".  This Ishwara is just only a stateof Avastha, we all experience every day, as total collectiveness of Moola avidya and the total collective unit of blissfulness.
When the Parabrahma (ie., yourself or myself or himself) is reflected in the so called Maya which the total cause for this whole universe, that reflection is called Ishwara. When you have reflected in the Maaya like the Sun reflecting in waters, that image of yourself is called Ishwara.  In the same way, all the gods of Puranas are none but the subtlest forms of our Indriyaas, Indriyaarthaas, Anthahkaranaas etc., only.  There is no place for any confusion, if we take everything in that sense.
                 "Mattah paratharam naasthi kinchid"
sriparasukhanandanadha.