[Advaita-l] Question on a short suurya namaskaaram

Ravi Mayavaram ravi at ambaa.org
Thu Feb 17 10:02:31 CST 2005

Ramakrishnan Balasubramanian wrote:

> shukeshhu me harimANam | ropaNAkAsu dadhmasi | atho haaridraveshhu me |
>
> do not make much sense to me. hariman is death or illness. But why the
> request to place "my illness" in 3 birds - shuka, ropaNAkA and
> hAridrava. shuka is parrot. My dictionary tells me the other two are
> types of birds with the helpful description that the last is yellow in
> color (Monier-Williams).
>
> What does shAyaNa have to say about these verses? Or does anyone have
> any suggestions on what these might be?

The book I have on vaishvedevam  has a set of 72 mantra-s known as
simhaavalokana mantra-s and it explains the procedure of doing the same.
The mantra starts with "simhe me manyuH". In that also occurs "shuke me
harimaa" and harimaa is translated as jaundice (Tamil ma~njal
kaamaalai). From my cursory reading, bad traits and proneness to certain
  diseases are transferred to other beings which can handle it better.
These are not always animals, certain traits are transferred to
xatriya-s, vaishya-s, etc. To give some examples, thirst is transferred
to Camel, hunger to wolf, tooth ailments to rats, etc.

Author refers to bodhayana 4-7-7 for doing this procedure. Probably from
what you write, all have a vedic basis too. This simhaavalokana is done
(optional though) daily after gaNa homam. It can be done even if one
does not not vaishvedevam. But has to be learnt from a guru. I have not
read this book completely yet and it is published by Mylapore Veda
Adhyayana Sabha.

Ravi