[Advaita-l] Is the notion of an ISvara compatible with advaita?

Shailendra Bhatnagar bhatnagar_shailendra at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 08:46:17 CST 2005

Namaste Amuthanji, My little understanding of Advaita is that Ishvar or Saguna Brahman is part of Maya. The only absolute reality is the Nirguna Brahman. Having said that, I am equally perplexed by the notion of Prakruti or Maya shakti. Whose power is this ? Brahman's ? Can Brahman be (satyam, jnanam, anantam) and (rajas, tamas and sattva) at the same time ? This basic contradiction is probably reconciled in the Brahm Sutra bhasya but I have not personally read it. The more well read and learned members can comment on it.

regards,
Shailendra

Amuthan Arunkumar R <aparyap at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
 in the argument
presented below, i'm not trying to refute the
existence of an ISvara, but rather asking for a
rational justification of it based on the axioms of
advaita vedanta.