[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 22, Issue 10

Shankar shankar at tataelxsi.co.in
Thu Feb 10 22:46:39 CST 2005

Dear Sri Parasukhanandanadhaji,

You Wrote :

> In my openion Gaayatri is not a mantra at all, because >mantras all would
be initiated by a Guru.  Gaayatri is not >initiated like other mantraas by a
Guru.  Gaayatri is >entrusted by the father to a son, to continue the yagna,
>which he was entrusted by his father and continued till >then,  and asking
the son to handover the same to his >sons.

During my upanayanam, Gayatri matra was recited by my
Guru in my ears and heard from the elders this is the
sampradaya in our sect (Smartha). My father did not
entrust me the matra as you wrote.

Probably, certian sects may follow as what you have commented. Can I know
from the learned readers
in the list as which is the correct way of initaiting the Gayatri mantra.

> sriparasukhanandanadha.

Shankar. P.S