[Advaita-l] RE: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 22, Issue 8

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 20:41:13 CST 2005

--- Srikrishna Ghadiyaram <srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> hariH Om !!
>
> --- S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:

[..]

> > The fact is that the lineage of Chinmaya Mission
> > (CM) is rooted
> > in the Sringeri Math.
> >

> I have been visiting Chinmaya Mission in California
> for the last 5 years. I have not heard from any one in
> the Chinmaya Mission saying that it has a lineage from
> Sringeri Matha.

>From the advaita VedAnta homepage at
http://www.advaita-vedanta.org/avhp/ad-today.html
"Among these, the founders of the Ramakrishna Mission, the
Divine Life Society and the Chinmaya Mission trace their
spiritual descent through the Sringeri paramparA."

A verbatim quote obtained from
http://www.sanskrit.org/Shankara/shankar4.html .

[..]

> Even in San Jose, CA Vedic Chanting is taught to all
> people without asking about caste or upanayanam. Also,
> women are allowed.

If you're living in San Jose, we should meet up. I live in
Sunnyvale!

> > FWIW, I have personally attended the lectures of
> > Swami Dayananda
> > Saraswati (who was formerly associated with the CM),
> > and his
> > eloquence in imparting knowledge of Vedanta is
> > second to none.
> >

> Svami Dayananda did not do all his Vedanta learning
> from Svami Chinmayananda, though he started his
> Vedanta learning from Svami Chinmayananda.

That's the reason for my statement.

-Kartik