[Advaita-l] food habits and Karma

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 07:40:50 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb, Sri Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

"An advaitin would find the idea of eating an animal as strange as taking a
bite from his own mother."

And why would he not feel the same sentiments while eating a vegetable - say
a potato? I would like to quote from "The Prophet" on dinking and eating:

"Would that you could live on the fragerance of the earth, and like an air
plant be sustained by the light.
But since you must kill to eat, and rob the young of its mother's milk to
quench your thirst, let it then be an act of worship,
And let your board stand an altar on which the pure and the innocent of
forest and plain are sacrificed for that which is purer and still more
innocent in many.
When you kill a beast say to him in your heart,
By the same power that slays you, I too am slain; and I too shall be
consumed.
For the law that delivered you into my hand shall deliver me into a mightier
hand"