[Advaita-l] meera bhai & bhakti

Amuthan Arunkumar R aparyap at yahoo.co.in
Fri Dec 30 10:04:04 CST 2005

namo nArAyaNAya!

dear shrI muraLi mohan,

--- murali mohan <murali_mohan_at_yahoo_dot_com>
wrote:

> Meera, again like Gopis, discarded her husband and
> was singing and dancing all the time. Whereas
> Krishna in Gita cautioned everyone aginst abandoning
> ones duties and that one can reach him thru nishkama
> karma. Becoz of Meera's nonsupport for her husband
> in his kingly duties he could not fight properly
> against the Mughals. He was supportive of her
> activities to a certain extent but she could not
> perform her part. Same was the case with Chaitanya
> Mahaprabhu. He was also singing and dancing all the
> time. We can appreciate the purpose of singing
> bhajans and dancing but all the time?

it is best not to compare giants like mIrA bAi or
chaitaNya mahAprabhu or gopikA-s with normal people.
if someone has the capability to akhaNDa nAma
sa~nkIrtanam or bhagavatsmaraNam as these prema
bhakta-s did, there is nothing wrong in discarding
prescribed duties. otherwise, all the vihita karma-s
have to be done.

wrote:

> ... We know that
> once a person reach a certain state, the affairs of
> the world no longer ties him down and interests him,
> but as long as one exist physically can one be
> irresponsible to his station in life? Did not king
> Janaka perform his royal duties even after
> enlightenment?

we cannot insist that all j~nAni-s should have the
same external behaviour. janaka performed his duties.
ramaNa maharShi did not. rAmakR^iShNa paramahaMsa was
doing prema bhakti all the time etc.

as shrI sadAnanda pointed out, we have to look for
perfection in our own actions. whatever mArga we have
chosen, we can take one j~nAni in that mArga as a role
model and keep going. it is total waste of our time
and energy trying to question the actions of j~nAni-s.

wrote:

> ... Recently I heard one Swami saying
> that the people who were singing bhajans inside
>  Somnath temple  when it was being attacked and
> razed to the ground by the forces of Aurangazeb
> hoping that God would save them were misguided and
> foolish and should have done their duty in
> protesting and preventing the crime.  Doing one's
> duty impartially is highly emphasised in Hindu
> religion. All Hindu gods symbolically carry symbols
> of peace as well as weapons. Violence might be
> required to maintain peace and protect the meek.
> Like Shivaji for example.

what protest do you expect from a set of bhakta-s who
carry tampUra against a set of armed mughals?

i really do not see any rationale behind comparing
shivAji and a group of bhakta-s. are you trying to say
that the bhajana should not have happened at all and
that these bhakta-s should have taken up arms against
the mughals?

wrote:

> ... Has not these bhakti
> movements created hordes of carefree, easygoing,
> lazy people?

why are you trying to find fault with the bhakti
movement when it has produced giants like mIrA,
chaitaNya mahAprabhu, kabIr, tulasidAs, nAmadeva,
tukArAm etc.?

the absurdity of the conclusion against bhakti
movement will become apparent if we consider an
analogy with present day politics. today we have a lot
of corrupt politicians. does this mean we should not
have any political science or politicians at all?

wrote:

>   So we have one section who performs one's eartly
> duties effortlessly and without ego and another
> section who discards all duties and sings and
> dances.  Which is correct?

both are correct. but for those who do bhajana, vihita
karma-s HAVE TO BE DONE. if by mahatkR^ipA or
bhagavadkR^ipA prema bhakti develops, all karma-s will
drop away by themselves.

one final piece of thought - i'm no one to advise you
but i felt i had to tell this to you - instead of
asking 'why did 'X' do this? is it not wrong?' (where
'X' is some mahAn), it is better to have the attitude
''X' did this. therefore it is correct. but there
seems to be a contradiction. how can this be
understood?'. vinaya is any day preferable over fault
finding.

in case you asked these questions with the right
attitude, please forgive me for my presumptuous
remarks. i wrote this since your attitude in this and
your previous post on rAsa lIlA seemed more fault
finding than as a proper question.

vAsudevaH sarvaM,
aparyAptAmR^itaH.

Amuthan Arunkumar R,