[Advaita-l] Raslila

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Dec 24 14:27:56 CST 2005

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005, Ramesh Krishnamurthy wrote:

> Basically, I'm suggesting that the itihAsa-s are more "historical"
> than the purANa-s.

I don't think that argument is tenable.  According to kavyashastras, the
definition of itihasa is

dharmArthakAmamokShANAmupadeshasamanvita.m |
pUrvavrtta.m kathAyuktamitihAsa.m prachakShate ||

Itihasa is defined as those stories of previous events which teach dharma,
artha, kama, and moksha.

Whereas purana is defined as:

sargashcha pratisargashcha va.msho manvantarANi cha |
vaMshanucharita.m chaiva purANa.m pa.mchalakShaNa.m ||

Accounts of the creation and destruction of the universe, the lineages of
the solar and lunar dynasties, manvantaras, and other royal dynasties are
the five characteristics of a purana.

So as you can see they both contain material which can be called
historical.