[Advaita-l] Re: Love molecule

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 17:34:46 CST 2005

Sri Sunil Bhattacharjya wrote:

>   We should not downgrade the modern gurus too.

We don't need to. They are doing it themselves.

Look at the profundity of their teaching-- "religion-banana-skin;
spirtuality--banana". "Unconditional love is total; total love is
life; hence live life unconditionally".

Either they are saying what their audience want to hear -- and
therefore they are being cunning.

Or they are saying it because they sincerely believe it -- in that
case they are ignorant and misrepresenting indian spirituality.

Either scenario does not bring any credit to them.

You are right that a lot of traditionally trained gurus are also not
enlightened. But it is difficult to fake enlightenment within
tradition.  There is an objective standard to know whether a teacher
is enlightened or not. And the teacher is not alone in his tradition;
he has his peers too. For a student willing to invest some time,
detecting a traditional fake is easy. Whereas, with a modern guru, he
does not need to have any tradition behind him, no objective criteria
and no peers. He can continue to teach -- "known is actually the
unknown and unknown is unknowable" for a life time without ever being
caught.

praNAm

--
Sanjay Srivastava

Dean's Fellow
Robert H. Smith School of Business
University of Maryland, College Park
U.S.A.
301-332-9082 (Cell); 301-434-4858 (Home)