[Advaita-l] New member introduction: Zachary Studt

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Sat Aug 6 22:08:28 CDT 2005

Wow! I'm so excited to finally find a discussion list dedicated
specifically to Vedanta. I've been looking for one for a while and
finally stumbled upon this by mistake!

My name is Zach, and I'm currently 18 and living in the United States.
Even though I am not as knoweldgeable as I'd like about the subject of
Advaita Vedanta, I am hoping to increase my knowledge and understanding by
following the discussions on this list and asking questions. The only
Hindu scripture I have read all the way through is the Bhagavad-Gita
translated by Prabhavananda and Isherwood, plus Ramesh Menon's adaptation
of the Ramayana. I've also read selections from the Upanishads and a great
amount of general-interest material, and enough of teachers such as
Vivekananda, Shankara, and Ramakrishna to know that Advaita Vedanta is the
most true philosophy I have ever laid ears on.

At the moment, I am endeavoring to balance reading more scripture and
commentary with school and work, and I've just undertaken the expansive
project of picking up a little Sanskrit - at least enough to be able to
read it out loud from Devanagari and to pick up general meanings. I look
forward to future discussions with this group's members, and hope I can
contribute something despite my beginner's level of knowledge.

  Zach