[Advaita-l] Re: Universe finite or infinite?

S Jayanarayanan sjayana at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 12:19:52 CDT 2005

--- ramesh badisa <badisa66 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> “Please quote shruti reference where it says that:
>
> "The moment you say "one-fourth", you are invariably implying
>
> its finite nature. There is no doubt about it."
>
> Badisa: The moment you give some number, you are limiting it
> to finite nature. In your respected opinion, the universe is
> infinite. You have also indicated that a part of infinity is
> also infinity. Our earth is also a part of the above said
> supposed infinite universe. But the earth is not infinite.

The number 1 is a part of the arithmetic infinity
(1,2,3...infinity). But the number 1 is not a NON-ZERO PART,
meaning that 1/infinity = 0.

In the case of the universe, we are told that it is one-fourth
of Krishna:

Universe = (1/4) Krishna

Note that if Krishna were infinite, and the universe were
finite, the left hand side of the equation would be finite,
whereas the right hand side would be infinite, which would
result in an absurdity.

Note also that the universe is a NON-ZERO PART of infinity (i.e.
Krishna):

Universe/Krishna = 1/4 (which is not zero)

Thus the only way to reconcile the above is to accept the
universe also as infinite.

> Badisa: The views from Purans are accepted only if they are
> also accepted by sruti. Other wise not.

As I have said above, the universe is a non-zero part of
infinity, thus making it also infinity.

Suppose you assume that the universe is finite. Then four times
the universe would also be finite. Thus Krishna, who is four
times the universe, would also be finite. This is absurd, for it
contradicts the GItA 11.19 which says that Krishna is infinite.

Thus, there is no way the universe can be finite, while Krishna
who is four times the universe, can be infinite. Both

-Kartik