[Advaita-l] Re: Universe finite or infinite?

ramesh badisa badisa66 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 10:25:07 CDT 2005

Dear Roger and respected members,

Namaste.

“True, one fourth of infinity is infinity”

Badisa: I respect your opinion. But, in Vedanta philosophy, one needs to show or quote the references from struti, which, unfortunately, missing in your answer too.

“The current majority opinion is that the universe is infinite”

Badisa: I respect all member’s opinions.

“Here is another interesting example from mathematics”

Badisa: Well! When the finite nature of universe was quoted as per modern astronomy, the idea was not well received on many grounds, which I understand and respect. Here, you are giving an example from mathematics to prove the infinite nature of universe. I am not sure how well it would be received by the same respected members. At any rate, I would respect all your views again.

I would like to add few more to show the finite nature of created universe. Gita 8/16 says that attainment of Brahma Lok (BL) is also subject to return to the world. Gita 8/17 to 19 still talk about the same Lord Brahma, who is refered in 8/16. In 8/17, it is indicated that 1000 yugas of Lord Brahma is his day time, and another 1000 yugas is his night time. 8/18 says that during his day time, Lord Brahma creates the universe, and in the night time, the universe is dissolved. We cannot say that Lord Brahma at BL is an absolute divine. How do we know that? Attainment of BL is subject to return as per 8/16. Thus, Lord Brahma is not an absolute divine. After dissolution of the universe in the night time, Lord Brahma would still be existing, as he has to create the universe on his next day. Since, creation and dissolution of universe is an every day’s process for Lord Brahma, it is not reasonable to assume that Lord Brahma disappears during his night time and reborn during his day time.
 In the above all slokas of Gita, there was no mention of life span of Lord Brahma. Of course, we can easily get this information else where. But, that is not important now. The points I am trying to bring out are as follows:

* The existence of Lord Brahma

* Existence of created universe

*Existence of time for Lord Brahma.

The above points may be represented in the following order from higher to lower levels:

-Nirguna Brahman (NB)

-Saguna Brahman (SB)

-Universe.

The universe is created by Saguna Brahman. Therefore, the size of this universe extends only up to the level of SB. This clearly shows the finite nature of universe. It means, up to this level, it forms “a part” of Lord Krishna, as indicated in Gita 10/42, and Rig Ved 10.90.3.

SB also comes under time, and thus, has some time limit for his existence. How do we know that? Brahma Sutra 4.3.10 says that at the time of pralaya, the karya Brahman (that is SB) also attains the NB. That means, up to the level of SB, the definition of universe is applicable. The stage after SB is NB, where time and space do not exist, and thus no universe exists. This clearly shows that the created universe is finite. If the created universe is infinite, then how is it possible for it to get dissolved in NB at the time of pralaya? If the assumption of infinite universe is right, then how can it merge in another infinite thing (NB)? Can we simply sat that divine can do any thing? The moment we say the existence of another infinite, besides the infinite universe, then we are immediately implying the finite nature of the universe. For example, we all know that divine is infinite. If the created universe is also infinite, then it cannot merge in divine. The moment we acknowledge the
 existence of divine and universe in their infinite nature, we immediately implying the finite nature on both of them. But we all agree that divine is infinite, without a second. Then it automatically translates to convey the meaning that created universe is finite. Here, you may say that since divine is infinite and is all spread, so the universe should also be infinite. We agree that divine is all spread. But, who this divine is? The all perfect NB cannot be a part of created universe. That means, SB can only be all pervasive in the created universe. Thus, at the time of pralaya, SB, the liberated souls at BL and the whole created univere merge in NB.

Therefore, the very well clear conclusion from my side is that the created universe is very big and very difficult to comprehend for all of us. Nevertheless, it is finite in nature. Absolute divine alone is infinite. The qualified souls will merge in divine and become divine and infinite.
Namaste