[Advaita-l] Re: Universe - finite or infinite?

Slowfork at aol.com Slowfork at aol.com
Thu Apr 14 11:49:37 CDT 2005

Dear Badisa and Group,

True, one fourth of infinity is infinity. However a reference to "one quarter
of the universe" being purusha (or anything else) does not have the necessary
implication that the universe is finite. The current majority opinion is that
the universe is infinite but that does not render statements such as, for
example, "only 5% of the matter in the universe is visible" nonsensical.

Here is another interesting example from mathematics. Suppose A is the set of
all counting numbers i.e. 1,2,3,4... and that B is the set of all multiples
of 4, i.e.4,8,12,16..... A and B are both infinite sets and in fact they have
the same number of members. Nonetheless B is contained within A - indeed B is
got by taking every fourth member of A so in a sense we can refer to it as "a
quarter of A". The apparent contradiction arises because we are dealing with
infinite sets.

Hari Om

Roger Floyd