[Advaita-l] Re: Sandhyavandanam

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Thu Sep 16 13:03:51 CDT 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, Girish Ramadurgam wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question and help that
> I require.
>
> 1) Whats the purpose of Sandhyavandanam? If its only to maintain
> discipline why is it said that "There is no fruit in Sandhyavandanam but
> if not done its a sin".

This page may help answer the question:
http://www.srisharada.com/QA/Sandhya Worship.htm

> 2) Whats wrong with our Society? Why do we have so many ways of doing
> Sandhyavandanam? Its different for Brahmin, Vysya and etc.

Why does this mean there is something wrong with our society?

> 3) Help - I am in UK and I need a English version of Sandhyavandanam.
> Would anyone be able to help me with this.

the method of sandhyavandana also differs according to Vedic shakha.  You
should find a vidvan Guru of your shakha and learn it from him.  If you
are unable to do this it is better to not say it at all then say it
incorrectly.  You've had your yajnopavita right?  And at that time you
learnt Gayatri mantra so say 1 mala of that if all else fails.