[Advaita-l] Queries to learn and transform

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Tue Oct 5 14:13:49 CDT 2004

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, S Jayanarayanan wrote:

> We've had a similar discussion on this list, where you yourself had
> admitted the possibility of animals achieving GYAna. You can find the
> post (dated 2 Nov 2000) at
>
> http://www.escribe.com/religion/advaita/m8780.html

So perhaps I should not have so emphatically stated that they cannot.  But
even in the earlier message I said the deciding factor is self-awareness.
A creature which does not have the idea of selfhood even in the limited
conventional sense obviously cannot comprehend the idea of universal self.

In the message from 2000, I mentioned this subject has been discussed in
the brahmasutras.  I shall try and find that section again and post it.