[Advaita-l] Guidance of Guru.

Sanjay Srivastava sksrivastava68 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 22 19:10:51 CST 2004

>By the way, how does one ascertain that the Guru he approached has directly
>experienced Brahman?

>>Real test is when shishya progressively asks tougher questions.

It is similar to trying to figure out if someone claiming to be an expert in
some advanced field of knowledge is really an expert. Asking questions and
getting satisfactory answers is a positive indicator. However if the
question was really advanced, how would the student know whether the answer
was correct? Arguably, student is not advanced to that stage where he can
judge himself whether the answer was correct or not. I would say, the
person's reputation among his peers would be a much more reliable indicator
than student's own judgment.

One of the problems with non-sampradAyavid teachers is that they do not have
peers and therefore it is left to the subjective judgment of the shishya to
decide if the teacher is brahmanishtham or not.

Best regards
Bhadraiah

Need assistance? Contact:
listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org