[Advaita-l] Re: Advaita-l Digest, Vol 19, Issue 7

tatha gat tathagat79 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 13:32:54 CST 2004

Navin,

I guess what you are really asking is what are self
realized people, who have realized the identity of
atman and brahman thinking when they are helping
someone/receiving help from someone. I dont know what
the shastras say about that.

But for the rest of us,
Vivekananda's approach seems pretty pragmatic - give a
person what he needs, if you can. A hungry man needs
food before he can think about liberation. Very often,
especially in India, we keep thinking about charity
without actually doing anything and that needs to
change. A person who helps another just to get an ego
boost about it soon progresses to a stage where he
helps another out of sheer compassion [and probably,
progresses to a stage where he realizes there is no
difference between the helper and the helped]. So lets
start by helping in whatever way we can.

-Mayuresh.