[Advaita-l] RE: brahman and Anandamaya-Atman

bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com bhaskar.yr at in.abb.com
Thu May 27 00:25:57 CDT 2004

Thus, we can see that SankarAcArya draws a crucial distinction between
Anandamaya-Atman, the self known through experiences of happiness/bliss,
and
Ananda itself, the brahman which is beyond all sensory experience. His
explanation is the best possible one of the seemingly contradictory and
puzzling statements in the taittirIya upanishat.

praNAm Sri VidyAshankar prabhuji
sAshtAnga praNAms
Hare krishna

Thanks a lot for your painstaking series on AnandamayamAtma  prabhuji.
After seeing shankara's clear distinction between AnandamayamAtma & Ananda
svarUpa of ours, we can say these kOSa-s are in avidyA kShEtra & mere
superimposition on brahma tattva.  Out of five kOSa-s, three kOSa-s
(manOmaya, vijnAnamaya & Anandamaya)made up of antahkaraNa & vijnAnamaya &
Anandamaya Atman-s are nothing but kartrutva & bhOktrutva of ahaM pratyaya
& our true svarUpa which is Ananda itself  is sAkshi to even aham pratyaya.
After all, these are all from adhyArOpita drushti adopted by shruti to
teach us the ultimate reality.  Sri surEshwara in taitirIya vArtika says
that apart from brahman there is no separate existence to these five koSa-s
like serpent does not have individual existence apart from rope ( na hi
kOshAtmanA satyaM R^tE  brahma samaSnute! kutaH sarpAtmanA satyaM R^tE
rajjum sadAtmikAM!!  Further he goes on to say that these koSa-s are mere
avidyA kalpita & we have to get rid of our identification with these kOSA-s
& tobe established ourselves in anAdi, anata paramArtha tattva ( yasmA
devamatO hitvA! kOSAn ajnAna kalipitAn nirvikAraM anAdim, anantaM!
paramAtmAnam ASrayEt!.

It is once again clear for us  that shankara never ever goes against shruti
pratipAdya siddhAta & as you said,  it is through Sri shankara
bhagavadpAda's prasanna, gambhIra commentaries only we would be able to
know the shruti's imports in its entirety.

Sri vidyA prabhuji & Sri Jaldhar prabhuji, kindly accept my humble
prostrations for clearing Swamy Krishnananda's objections on bhagavadpAdA's
commentary.

Your humble servant
Hari Hari Hari Bol!!!
bhaskar