[Advaita-l] sadyomukti and jIvanmukti

Ramesh Badisa badisa55 at hotmail.com
Thu May 13 15:44:40 CDT 2004

Dear respected members,
Namaste.

In Muktiko Upanishad 2.1 spiritual conversation between Lord Ram and sri
Hanuman is mentioned. I am just writing it below:

Sri Hanuman: "What is jeevan mukti?"; "What is vedeha mukti?"; "" What is
the basis for these types" ....  etc, etc

Lord Ram: "Humans always assume by false imagination that they are the doer
of all actions, and this results bondages in the form of various kleshas. A
person, who is released from such bondages, is called a jeevan mukta. As the
sky in the pot becomes greater sky by the breakage of pot, in a similar way,
when the prarabdha karma is annihilated completely, this jeevan mukta gets
vedeha mukti. The basis for jeevan mukti and vedeha mukti is 108
upanishads".

>From the above cpnversation, it is clear that the jeevan mukti state is
resulted by the removal of kleshas.

Now let us see what is vedeha mukti. In Muktiko Upanishad 1.16, it says that
"prarabdha karma can be annihilated by continuous practise of sravana,
manana, and nidhidyasa. Once, this karma is annihilated, the physical body
dies. Then by the way that the sky is without upadhi, this soul attains
absolute perfection. This is called vedeha mukti. This is also termed as
kivalya mukti. This type of mukti is resulted due to divine experience
(gyani)".

Here, we need to remember that the term jeevan mukti has a particular
meaning, and is applied for certain time point only, that is, till the body
is alive. On the other hand, the term vedeha mukti is applied to the soul.
That means, vedeha mukti is for soul. This is the absolute salvation,
achieved immediately, without going anywhere. That means the soul merges in
divine, and all his 16 parts of witness are dissolved in the divine. Thus we
are given an example of a river merging in a sea, and becomes as big as the
sea (Prasna Up. 6.5).

In case of a jeevan mukta, there is no question of merging of these 16 parts
in divine. Because, he is not yet released from body. Since, merging of all
individual identities are requied for absolute salvation, and since that is
not happening in case of a jeevan mukta, the state of jeevan mukta cannot be
termed as an absolute salvation. Then, what is this state called? This is
the state of experience of divine (that is the experience of advaita). In
other words, initially, this person (before divine experience) was
practising spiritual sadhana on the belief that advaita is correct as per
sruti. Now by experiencing his divine nature, he experienced the advaita as
the final subtle truth. At this point also, he is still at experience level
only as he is not yet released from the body to become advaita in absolute
state (experiencing of advaita is different from becoming advaita). When he
experienced his divine nature, he understood that 'he is him', but the 'he'
hasn't become 'him' yet. Once, 'he' becomes 'him', then are no two, but only
one is present. This is absolute salvation. Before this state of absolute
salvation, jeevan mukta experiences his divine nature while living. The time
when the 'he becomes him', that is called sadhyo mukti, immediately
salvation. Because, upon death, 'he becomes him' immediately. Before death,
'he' experienced 'him', but not become 'him'. Thus the state of jeevan mukta
is not an absolute salvation. See, he is still facing prarabdha karma, and
how is it possible to compare his state to an an absolute salvation. Before
merging, a river cannot be said to have become a sea. But, during its course
of journery, the river understands that its main aim in life is to merge in
the sea. and become as big as the sea upon merging. This understanding on
the part of river is called realization, but does not mean that it has
already become the sea just by experiencing. Because, at the point of
realization also, the river is separate from the sea, and thus, cannot be
called to be a sea. The river becomes sea only at the final stage of
merging. Not before that. Before merging, the river has a distinct name etc.
Upon merging, his name as a river etc are lost. Please apply this
explanation to the state of jeevan mukta.

Thus, a jeevan mukta state is not an absolute state of salvation, but it is
only state of divine experience.

Namaste
Badisa