[Advaita-l] compare and contrast

Ramesh Badisa badisa55 at hotmail.com
Wed May 12 10:05:52 CDT 2004

Dear respectable members,
Namaste.

>You say that jIvanmukti is not salvation in the absolute sense and then
>contradict yourself saying that salvation is for the soul and not the body.

Badisa: There is no contradiction please. According to you, if jeevan mukta
state itself is salvation in absolute sense, then what is the fate of karma
yogis, if annihilated their karma to zero and if they die before divine
experience? More over, it is the soul, not the physical body, that follows
the 8/24 devyan path of Gita (as well as sruti) to reach the Brahma Lok. At
the end of pralaya, these souls will get absolute salvation, as mentioned in
Brahma Sutra, 4.3.10.

>How is this reconcilable? If salvation is connected only with the soul, how
>does it matter whether the body is present or not?

Badisa: Even though absolute salvation is concerned to the soul, in order to
remove the layers of ignorance (due to accumulation of karmas), the soul
requires human body. This way, the ignorance can be removed by spiritual
sadhana. Without a physical body, it is not possible to do spiritual
sadhana. Therefore, this human body needs to be utilized for divine
realization apart from doing our work.

Salvation is the realisation of unity of the Self and Brahman. When this
realisation has
>dawned, there is nothing else to achieve. The presence or absence of a body
>is immaterial.

Badisa: You did not give any sruti reference for your explanation. Then,
what will happen to the divine experienced soul after the physical body dies
here? Please give sruti references.

The soul of jIvanmukta doesnt merge with anything upon the
>death of the physical body. The *merging*, *becoming* etc. are all just
>figurative speech.

Badisa: Sir! who has to say it? On the other hand, if these are your
personal opinions, then they are respectable. If not, then,  I request you
to quote sruti references in your next posting.

>Hari Om

In Summary:

Badisa: Absolute salvation is concerned only with soul. In order to reach to
that state, the ignorance and bondage etc need to be removed on the part of
soul, and if not removed then the soul is caught in samsar, life after life,
meaning that the soul will take upadhi every time. A human body is required
to practise spiritual sadhana. That is the reason our experienced spiritual
masters always emphasize that when we are blessed with this human body, it
needs to be utilized for divine realization apart from doing our work.
Absolute salvation is resulted by the spiritual sadhana done by the live
physical body. Thus, when the prarabdha karma is zero for a jeevan mukta,
this physical body falls down here on the earth, while this soul will merge
in divine, called absolute salvation (sadhyo mukti). The state of a jeevan
mukta is not an absolute salvation, even though he has experienced the
divine. See, he is still facing his prarabdha karma, and because of which he
has some delay to achieve absolute salvation. Thus, we have in sruti, "for
him there is some delay as long as he is not delivered from the physical
body"(Chh. Up. 6.14.2). This delay is for getting absolute. Why this delay
for a jeevan mukta? Because, he is still facing the prarabdha
karma.Therefore, a physical body is required to annihilate the karma, and to
experience the divine.