[Advaita-l] Religion that I am born into

K Kathirasan NCS kkathir at ncs.com.sg
Wed Mar 17 20:54:35 CST 2004

Namaste Lathaji,

Although your words are comforting to read, I find it difficult reconcile it
with the teachings of our Advaita Acharyas. We as Vedantins know for sure
that Jnana alone confers Moksha. Are you implying that there are sampradayas
within the fold of Christianity that can impart Atma-Vidya? If my prarabdha
karma dictates that I be born in a non-Hindu family, why can't I use my
Agamya Karma to change my lifestyle? Why should we empower Prarabdha Karma
when we find ourselves in a situation where the attainment of Moksha is not
conducive? I think we are giving undue importance to fate rather than
free-will. The whole Vedic tradition is based on free-will driven karmas
where we CHOOSE to do the right thing.

Aren't we betraying the very teaching we subscribe to when we say that we
should stick to the religion we are born in because of our prarabdha?
Didin't Shankara convert the Buddhists and Mimamsikas of his times to
Vaidika Dharma?

best regards,
K Kathirasan