[Advaita-l] How to get an hindu name?

Srikrishna Ghadiyaram srikrishna_ghadiyaram at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 15:05:06 CST 2004

hariH Om !!

First of all, please do not identify yourself with
some 'special brand of Hinduis' than the new-age
Hinduism you see in your country. Everyone is
practicing what they know and can practice. Even in
Inida, Hinduism is much different from what we read in
books of orthodox followers. Atleast 99% of Indians do
not know what is said in the Vedas and do not do what
is said in the Vedas. Out of the insignificant
population that knows the Vedic knowledge, there are a
million differences. Out of those who still practice
the religion, it is more drawn from their family
traditions, and they may not really know any meaning
behind those acts, or even their names.

The Hinduism that most of us know is more of a
'Religion' than one combined with 'Philosophy'. Only
an insignificant population combines religion and
philosophy of life as needed by the human beings.

Your association with Hinduism is from 'Spirituality'
to 'Religion' which is reverse of what most of the
people living in India know. So, a solution to your
situation is very 'intellectual', if you allow me to
say that. For a common person living in India, a name
is a mere way of identification.

I think, your best bet is to associate with Hindu
temple activities, praticing Hindus, visiting India,
reading Puranas and such activities. In the course of
time you will know what it is to be a true Hindu.
Also, associate with some Sankara Matha teachings, so
that you are driven to some philosophical
understanding behind religious practices, atleast one
interpretation of the way and philosophy of life.

As per the name, whenever you feel you have the
courage to face your society with a new Hindu name
with no fear or shyness, you can choose your own name
or can consult people who know you and the Hindu way
of life. But, here you may get into the trap of some
'film' culture and lose the core. Be careful.

Most people in the South of India choose names of Gods
(several, in a string !!) and change them as per their
local culture of Tamil, Telugu or Malayalam. Be
watchful.

In the modern practice, I notice that people are
getting their Hindu names from their Indian spiritual
teachers,  Mata Amritanandamayi to give an example.
So, once you get into some love for a teacher, you can
take that route.

In the US, many Americans got converted into Hinduism,
suitable for a Christian mind, by Sivaya Subrahmanya
Swami of Hawai. You should do more research on that.

If you find the above methods unsuitable for your
circumstances, please let me/list know and we can
think of alternatives.

Om Namo Narayanaya !!

Srikrishna