[Advaita-l] How to get an hindu name?

rohit ubhayaker rohit8ganesh at yahoo.co.in
Sat Mar 13 00:22:27 CST 2004

S Jayanarayanan <sjayana at yahoo.com> wrote:
Hi Maria,

I'm surprised that no one has replied to your email. I don't think it's
necessary to change your name to a Hindu one, in order to be, in your
own words, "Hindu at heart".

I think it may actually sound "contrived and new-agey" to change your
name to make it sound more Hindu.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

-Kartik

--- María Dickson wrote:
> Dear members
>
> I see that almost every member of this list have hindu
> names. I don‘t know if you all are from hindu families
> but my question is simply: How could an occidental
> woman, without any drop of hindu blood in her veins
> but full of hinduism in her heart, get an hindu name?
> I don‘t know why, but I feel myself in a wrong place
> with a wrong name. And as in my country there is not a
> significant hindu community (there is a lot of “new
> age” pseudo hinduism), you are my only group of
> reference.
>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Om Namo Narayanaya!

> Need assistance? Contact:
> listmaster at advaita-vedanta.org
Dear  Saadhaka ,

Whereas  the  desire  of  changing  the  name  to  a  Hindu  name is  good , it  is  not  necessary .

If  you  are  a  Hindu  at  heart , then  you  can  be a  good  Christian , etc. The  Hindu  way  of  life  embraces  all . There  are  Hindu  altars , even  orthodox  ones , where  one  does  find  pictures  of  Jesus Christ ,etc .To  a  Hindu , equal  respect  is  tendered  to  all . A Hindu  believes  all  these  to  be  Aachaaryas .

The  great  P.P.Jagadguru  Shankaraachaarya Shrimad  Chandrashekharendra  Sarasvati  Mahaasvaamiji  of  Shri  Kaanchi  Kaamakoti  Peetha  was  once  approached  by  a  Christian  with some  spiritual  dilemma . The  seeker  said  that he  wasn't  happy  in  his  religion , and  wanted  advice  from  H.H. Mahaasvaamiji , whom  he  admired  as  a  spiritual  leader . Shri  Mahaasvaamiji  said ," It  is  enough  that  you  be  a  devout  Christian , your  spiritual  advancement will  be  assured ."

However, if  you  really  want to  change  your  name , you  can  approach  some  temple  priest  for  the  same .

May  the  good  Lord  bless  you .

BHAVA  SHANKARA DESHIKA MAY  SHARANAM.

With  Love,

Rohit N.Ubhayaker.