[Advaita-l] A doubt in BG chapters 2 & 3

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Mon Jun 28 15:41:52 CDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004, Raghavendra N Kalyan wrote:

> I have a doubt in BG chapters 2 and 3.
>
> In 3.1 Arjuna asks Krishna that if buddhi (knowledge) is superior to
> action why is he urging him to perform action.

Arjunas problem is that he is confused as to how to judge an action.  He
thinks it is based on its result while Krishna Bhagavan is saying it is
its intent.  Casting theory aside let's remember the exact action under
discussion.  Arjuna is being asked to wage a war to the death against his
own family.  He claims this cannot be a moral action as the destruction of
the family  will lead to evil consequences.  Krishna Bhagavan is saying it
is abandoning the Kshatriya Dharma to fight evil because of a false
sentimental attachment to people one knows to be wicked which is immoral.

Buddhi is to know why and when to act not just how to act.  Ultimately it
is the realization that all actions are futile and true immortality comes
from the renunciation of action.  But even prior to that final step,
Buddhi can and must be brought to bear on judging an action.