[Advaita-l] Ganesha

Jaldhar H. Vyas jaldhar at braincells.com
Wed Jun 23 07:45:24 CDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Siddhartha Krishna wrote:

> Let me tell you here that Bhagavan Adi Shankaracharya belonged to the Kanva
> Shakha of the Shukla Yajurveda and his main disciple Shri Sureshvaracharya
> (the first master of the Shringeri) belonged to the Taittiriya Shakha of the
> Krishna YajurVeda.

Wasn't it the other way around?  Shankaracharya belonged to Taittiriya
shakha and Mandana Mishra (who became Sureshvaracharya according to
tradition) belonged to Kanva shakha.  This would make sense as
Shankaracharya came from Kerala in the south where Krishnayajurveda is
more prevalent, and Mandana Mishra came from Mithila which was Maharshi
Yajnavalkyas' homeland too.